How to complain

Patient Complaint Process Notice


If you have a complaint or concern about the service you have received from the doctors or any of the personnel working in this practice, please let us know. We operate a practice complaint procedure as part of an NHS complaints system, which meets national criteria.


We hope that we can sort most problems out easily and quickly, often at the time they arise and with the person concerned. If you wish to make a formal complaint, please do so AS SOON AS POSSIBLE – ideally within a matter of a few days. This will enable us to establish what happened more easily. If doing that is not possible your complaint should be submitted within 12 months of the incident that caused the problem; or within 12 months of discovering that you have a problem. You should address your complaint in writing to the Practice Manager (ask at reception for a form) or by email to [email protected] FAO The Practice Manager will make sure that we deal with your concerns promptly and in the correct way. You should be as specific and concise as possible.

Patients, carers or relatives that do make a complaint will not be discriminated against in anyway, nor will they be treated adversely as a result of having complained.


We keep strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality (a separate leaflet giving more detail on confidentiality is available on request). If you are not the patient, but are complaining on their behalf, you must have their permission to do so. An authority signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable (because of illness or infirmity) of providing this. A Third Party Consent Form is available at reception.


We will acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days and aim to have fully investigated within 10 working days of the date it was received. If we expect it to take longer we will explain the reason for the delay and tell you when we expect to finish. When we look into your complaint, we will investigate the circumstances; make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned; make sure you receive an apology if this is appropriate, and take steps to make sure any problem does not arise again.

You will receive a final letter setting out the result of any practice investigations.


We hope that if you have a problem you will use our practice complaints procedure. We believe this will give us the best chance of putting right whatever has gone wrong and an opportunity to improve our practices. But this does not affect your right to approach NHS England directly, if you feel you cannot raise your complaint with us.

By post

NHS England

Customer Contact Centre

PO Box 16738


B97 9PT

By email

[email protected]

By telephone

0300 311 22 33


How do I complain to someone Independent?

GP Practices would prefer to have the opportunity to answer complaints ourselves in the first instance. However, you may pass your complaint directly to:
Patient Experience Team
Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Integrated Care Board
Sir John Robinson House
Sir John Robinson Way
Tel: 0115 8839570
If you would like further information please follow the link to the ICB website: Patient Experience and Complaints – NHS Nottingham and Nottinghamshire ICB
However, please note, patients cannot raise the same complaint with the practice and ICB.

Is there a time limit?

A complaint must be made within 12 months of the date of the incident that caused the problem or the date of discovering the problem.
Please remember, the quicker you complain, the easier it will be to investigate the facts.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome?
You can contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) on 0345 015 4033.
For more information see their website

Other useful contacts

POhWER, NHS Complaints Advocacy, on 0300 456 2370. For more information see their website
NHS Advocacy Service

There is also the NHS Complaints Advocacy Service. This service is an independent service offering support and guidance to patients who wish to raise a concern or complaint about the service or care a person has received. The Advocacy Service will assist you in making a complaint if you feel unable to make a complaint directly to the practice or NHS England.

The service is free, independent and confidential and all advocates work within the NHS complaints regulations.

If you would like the support of the NHS Advocacy Service, their contact details are:


0300 456 2364

Send the word “pohwer” with your name and contact number to 81025

Website: [email protected]

pohwer.advocacy (8am to 6pm Monday to Friday)


PO Box 14043


B6 9BL

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

If you remain dissatisfied with the response to your complaint, you have the right to ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) to review your case. This should be done within 12 months of receipt of your final response letter. The PHSO is an independent body and is not part of the NHS or Government, although their powers are set down in law. They will only investigate a complaint after the NHS service provider has had a chance to try and sort it out.

By post

Millbank Tower




By email

[email protected]


0345 015 4033

The practice Complaints Manager is Julie Thurlby (Practice Manager)

[email protected]

Reviewed October 2018 by Practice Manager

Next review: October 2020 or sooner